Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Put-In-Bay Butterfly House

For anyone interested in getting up close and personal with a wide variety of butterflies, the Butterfly House on South Bass Island (Put-In Bay) is the place for you. The Butterfly House opened in 2004 and I've been there a few times since then. I haven't been disappointed...except by maybe one thing; the butterflies are so numerous I think their wings suffer for it because many have wings that are ripped and worn. They are also very "friendly", landing on visitors to the atrium which also doesn't help I'm sure.

Here is a shot of one that landed on my sneaker and crawled around on my leg for about five minutes.There were visitors of all ages at the Butterfly House when we were there in August. This young gentleman seemed awestruck by the beautiful butterflies.

Because these butterflies are imported from all over the world I have neither the time nor the inclination to try and identify them:) If any of you out there would like to provide any IDs, feel free to comment.
Some, like this one, I just make up names for based on what they remind me of. I call this one the Clowns Butterfly because of it's coloration (like the Cleveland Browns football uniform) As you can probably guess, I'm a Steelers fan.


For you shutterbugs out there, and you know who you are! Another nice thing about the Butterfly House is the fact that the butterflies are so used to people and cameras they are usually not the least bit camera shy.
Next time I'll post some more shots from Put-In Bay including our visit to the Frosty Bar, home of the coldest beer ever! Hey, we had to find some place to watch the Olympics!








4 comments:

NCmountainwoman said...

Outstanding photographs! I love butterfly exhibits. Nothing lights up a child's face more than seeing a butterfly land on his or her finger.

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I really love the black and white butterfly. Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh has a butterfly forest and it is just so much fun to visit whether you are an adult or child. I hadn't heard of "Put-in-Bay" before and will have to check it out.

Leedra said...

Awesome photos! Would like to be able to experience that one. Don't know of anything like it in my neck of the woods.

Mary said...

AWESOME!